Cranfield's Non-Executive Directors' Seminar is designed to equip you with the understanding of the multifaceted and challenging nature of the non-executive director's role.
This highly-specialised seminar will help you add value to the board, build your network and raise your profile to secure an appointment. It addresses key topics critical to the effectiveness of a non-executive director as well as covering how to secure non-executive positions. On the evening of day 1 there is a dinner with a guest speaker who will share their experiences and offer expert guidance.
Delivered by leading Cranfield and expert practitioner speakers for over 20 years, the seminar is a must for aspiring non-executive directors.
What you will learn
You will leave with a comprehensive understanding of the role of a non-executive director, a structured knowledge of current governance responsibilities, and the practical understanding of how to secure a non-executive position. Increasingly senior individuals are choosing 'portfolio careers'; this seminar will support your personal development in this regard.
- Clarity about the key attributes of a successful NED and how you can develop these skills
- Greater understanding of your role as an effective NED
- Deeper appreciation of the NED's legal, regulatory and personal responsibilities
- Increased personal contribution in adding value to the board
- Greater confidence in pursuing NEDS placements
- Contextual awareness of how to apply your knowledge and skills to board room challenges in different types of organisations
- Increased profile through peer networking
- The critical components of corporate governance and responsibility
- Your legal responsibilities
- Effective board processes
- Dealing with top team dynamics
- How to find non-executive positions
- Comparing non-executive roles in different types of organisations
- Welcome, course objectives and personal introductions
- Legal responsibilities of a non-executive director
- Due diligence on your company
- Good governance - what is it and how do we get there?
- Board evaluation
- Case study preparation
- Dinner with a guest speaker
- Role of the chair, succession and transition of board members
- How to work effectively with executive search firms
- Case study discussions
- The nature of global, high performing boards - what the research says
- Your conclusions from the programme